Synokoria Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links

3 posters

Go down

Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links Empty Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links

Post by Corynth Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:38 pm

Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links Tumblr_inline_nlym7agW4z1s9k98u_500
Deep within the halls of a prestigious school for the magically gifted, trouble is brewing.
Our protagonist faces expulsion. Her only hope lies in the hands of an unfortunately named classmate.
Can they defeat the odds?

Tomato Soup For The Heart is a pretty short game in which we’re trying out some play mechanics for a longer game.

Due  to time constraints this is a soundless game.

Features:

• CG Gallery

• Achievements

• Stat Raising

• 8.5K+ words

• 1 Love Interest

Enjoy!

Download Link(Windows, Linux and Mac): http://www.mediafire.com/download/u1murll931t9hew/01Tomato-Soup-For-The-Heart-1.0-all.zip
Corynth
Corynth
Admin

http://synokoria.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links Empty Re: Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links

Post by Scarfie Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Alright, just two things I remember I pointed out when playing:
1) Achievements are great.
2) Stats are not great.
As for the experiment I really liked it, but for the game-game you should be really careful with stat raising. There is a very thin border between enjoyable stat raising and annoying stat raising Smile
Scarfie
Scarfie

Back to top Go down

Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links Empty Re: Tomato Soup for the Heart info and links

Post by Corynth Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:11 am

Scarfie wrote:Alright, just two things I remember I pointed out when playing:
1) Achievements are great.
2) Stats are not great.
As for the experiment I really liked it, but for the game-game you should be really careful with stat raising. There is a very thin border between enjoyable stat raising and annoying stat raising Smile

That's why we made Tomato Soup - to get help finding out where the line is Smile . So yeah, if you have any advice on making it less tedious don't hesitate to tell us.

Also, I love achievements because they encourage people to replay go looking for them Razz . Next time they won't be a bunch of ? in the list though, so people get some idea of where to look.
Corynth
Corynth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarfie Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:05 am

I loved the achievement with nagging about fashion <3
I think the best way to avoid annoying stats is a lot of actual scenes in between. Also the less repetition the better Very Happy Unfortunately I know it means a lot of work from both the writer and the programmer... I really respect you for making HO, lots of nice looking vns are in the development hell after all. Cheers!
Scarfie
Scarfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corynth Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 am

It's not like this will be the first time I've made more work for myself( the achievements were my idea when I could have just let it be, after all).
That's usually my feeling too. TS didn't get a lot of actual unique scenes at least partly because of the time limit. If we wanted to use it as a game mechanic prototype then I had to prioritise the coding over writing more scenes.
Honestly my favourite TS path is not the "happy" end. It's the
Spoiler:
one just because majority of it's scenes are unique to that path. Also because I like the thought of everything that would come after.
Corynth
Corynth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarfie Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:33 pm

It worked pretty well for a prototype Smile I liked all the ending except for failing one. Not because the character failed, bad ending can be very enjoyable(Gardis bad ending from Second Reproduction is an excellent example) but because it was very... indistinct. I was left with "I've spent all that time and that's it?". This solution is fine for short vns(like Tomato) but if you will consider using this mechanic to develop something longer, it would be nice to reward the player for their time Very Happy (ehkm, punishing them for failing also counts xD)
Scarfie
Scarfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Alianora Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Cute!  It almost felt like alternate universe Emma meets AU Erik.  (Y'know, if he'd had to suffer through the "socially awkward teenager" phase like the rest of us.)
I like stat-raisers, especially for short-to-medium length works.  (I thought "Re: Alistair++" and "Freak-quency" were good lengths; "Dandelion: Wishes Brought to You" would've been too long if it hadn't been for the changing ability to interact with characters before the raising activities.)

Spoiler:

I could use a hint on getting the third and ninth achievements, if someone would be so kind.

Alianora

Back to top Go down

Post by Corynth Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:03 pm

... I didn't post the achievement and epilogue list here? Let me correct that oversight now.

Achievement List with hints:

And here instructions on achieving all of the epilogues:
Epilogue Requirements:

There are two ends without an epilogue. Both are required to complete the achievement list and have a higher priority than all of the epilogues. One of them is, of course, the happy ending. The other is linked to the 9th achievement.

This is actually meant to eventually be part of a bigger universe so some things were thrown in as easter eggs for future works. 

As for AU Emma meets AU Erik, 

Tomatosoup Route Spoilers:
Corynth
Corynth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alianora Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:40 am

Corynth wrote:
This is actually meant to eventually be part of a bigger universe so some things were thrown in as easter eggs for future works. 
I hope so.  This world's background and supporting characters caught my curiosity.  (I'm more interested in Tomatosoup's family than I was in Osiria/Varan/Joshua.)

Corynth wrote:
Tomatosoup Route Spoilers:
...my brain is broken.

Alianora

Back to top Go down

Post by Corynth Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:38 am

Alianora wrote:
Corynth wrote:
I hope so.  This world's background and supporting characters caught my curiosity.  (I'm more interested in Tomatosoup's family than I was in Osiria/Varan/Joshua.)
It's probably going to be a long time before we release the game that lets you see his family, but I am interested in the reaction when that time comes and the pieces start falling into place.
Corynth
Corynth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down